Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Ronan the Barbarian

Today we packed up and tried to figure out the best way to get to Bangkok. Since we have a ridiculous amount of luggage, we figured flying would be best. The bus ride up there is around 12 hours, and that just doesn’t seem like a lot of fun to me. I got two tickets and minibus airport transfers for a reasonable price.

At the airport I was surprised by the woman at the check in desk when she told me I owed her 2000 baht ($60) for overweight bags. After the check in fiasco, we headed out to our gate, where we had about 2 hours to wait around. Luckily we met a really nice Irishman named Ronan. I enjoyed listening to him talk in his strong Irish accent about how he gets “pissed” after 15 pints of Guiness each day.

We were lucky again when we found out Ronan was sitting right in front of us on the flight. The flight was a short one - about an hour. I was a little nervous about arriving in Bangkok without a hotel reservation, worrying that a taxi or someone else was going to royally try to rip us off. The nice guy that Ronan is, he helped us to find a hotel, and even let us share a taxi with him all the way to our hotel.



It was night when we arrived at our hotel in Bangkok Once in the room, Elisabeth was bouncing off the walls with excitement since this hotel was much nicer than the last prostitute-ridden hotel we stayed at. The view of the city wasn’t that bad from our window, and we were both excited to explore Bangkok the next day. I was most anxious to get my camera in the repair shop so I could get some videos shot.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

God sends his angels...