Thursday, May 10, 2007

Filming Hell is Hell



Each day in Bangkok we learn more. We learn the quickest ways to certain areas, we learn how to get a cheap taxi ride, where to do laundry, where the Internet cafes are located, and which modes of transportation are the cheapest and quickest. We are learning all of the sky train and underground train stops, and how much each of them cost. So exciting!! I personally am thinking of buying a mask for the pollution problem here. Many of the Thais wear white masks to help protect them from the excess exhaust in Bangkok. It is really overbearing.



Tonight I decided that I was going to try and get some work done by finding a club to film in. I can possibly make money by shooting club videos for a network back in California. The producers from the network told me that if I make one or two club profile videos that are any good, then I could be contracted to make many, which means rent and food money. So tonight I decided to head out to a club I had been reading reviews about, called club Lucifer.



The club is located directly in the heart of the red light district of Thailand. This area is situated on two streets; Patpong 1 and Patpong 2. A market has taken over the area and sells overpriced products to tourists. In fact I personally bought a pair of fake Adidas and a t-shirt for far too much money. Haha.



It took me a while to find the club, and the whole time I was being hassled by Thais trying to lure me into go-go bars or sex shows. Men on the streets approach you with a list of things women will do for you, or they hand you small pictures of women who will provide you with a “body to body” massage. Some just have a small piece of paper that says “SEX DVD” on it. Luckily I didn’t bring Elisabeth with me here, because she probably would have already knocked one of these guys lights out. Hmmmm, actually maybe I should bring her along next time……..



Not long before reaching the club my camera decided to stop working again. Curses!!! What kind of luck is this? Angry and sweating from the heat, I turned around to head back to the underground train to go home and sleep. I walked about a mile back to the underground train and bought a ticket.


My camera must really hate me, because just before I boarded the train, it started working again! VERY angry and VERY sweaty at this point, I turned back around and walked another mile back to club Lucifer, back through the dirty men trying to sell me sex.

Once I arrived at the club, I was happy when I was given permission to film, but very disappointed when no one in the club was dancing. The main footage I need is of people dancing. In fact no one was even on the second floor where the dance floor is located. There was only a performance by an Elvis impersonator, who was actually very entertaining. I grabbed some shots of the devil pictures on the wall and the demon masks all around. I decided not to even try to interview anyone, since it seemed to be a lost cause. When I got a “condescending asshole” vibe from the club manager, I decided to get the hell out of there, no pun intended.

Can’t wait to check out some more clubs and hopefully find a good one. And hopefully my camera will decide to stop acting up.

3 comments:

Beth in the flesh. said...

I like the picture of the Ruff Ryders...

Love the blogs; very entertaining! Keep 'em coming! =)

beth

Jason Faulds said...

Thanks for the update Jason. Have you thought of opening the camera up just to see if it's something obvious like a loose wire maybe? Maybe when you had it serviced they left something loose. Just a thought. Good luck brotha'.

J. Nicky said...

"Filming Hell is Hell?"

But I thought you were shooting on video tape.

JW