Saturday, May 5, 2007

Camera Fails

May 4th, 2007

Isn’t it great when you come to Thailand to shoot video, and then on your second day in the country your camera stops working? Just my bad luck I guess. I even paid $260 right before I left to make sure my camera was working properly. So I called Canon USA tech support, thinking I was going to have to ship it home to get it fixed, but they told me to call Canon Asia or Canon Japan. Then the British owner of our guesthouse (Alister) told me that I could get everything taken care of in Bangkok. He said that they have a Canon service center there, and that I might be able to find another professional camera like mine for sale up there.
It sucks because I was supposed to document a bunch of clubs on this island, and I wanted to do a short piece on the insane prostitution here. All has to get put on hold now, and I am going to be spending loads of money that I shouldn’t have to. Thanks Canon. You owe me free gear.

Alister has been helping me with advice for all kinds of things Thailand related. It is so nice to talk to him, because when I try to get information out of the Thai girls that work the front desk, they just stare at me blankly. All of the girls know very little English. Well, they know quite a bit actually, but when I start asking about video camera technical support, they just stare and smile.

Since my camera broke, we decided to head across the island to Phuket Town and check out their big mall, Central Festival. I was hoping they might have a video camera I could purchase. They did have a Canon show going on in the middle of the mall, but it was mostly consumer crap. And the big electronic store had several cameras, but nothing worth while.



On our way back to Patong from Phuket Town, the police were doing random stops. We got flagged over by a cop, so I pulled out my Florida Driver’s License. He looked at it briefly and signaled for me to get moving.

Got home around 3pm, and Elisabeth passed out. We are so jet lagged it isn’t funny. I decided to try and stay up and attempt to fall asleep at a regular hour. Elisabeth finally woke up around 8pm and we got on our motorbike to go find a place to eat. We had some bad Italian food and watched Snakes on a Plane at the restaurant. Funny. We should be out shooting video tonight! Argh…...It’s funny how much more I want to use my video camera when I don’t have it.

1 comment:

Aunt K said...

Sorry about the video camera, but those of us in the states don't mind too much. If you start shooting video you might take less stills!
Great pics. Keep 'em coming.